Saturday, November 3, 2007

Welcome to Folly's Reviews

You might know me from various progressive rock websites. Anyway, I am now creating a blog which will showcase my reviews of CDs I like (or am sent to review by progressiveears.com). I hope you enjoy.

Some notes about my rating scale:

9.4-10.0: Masterpiece
An album earning this rating has zero weak songs and is astounding all around. Under no circumstances should you avoid an album that I award a rating in this range. For the record, a 10.0 implies the album is perfect.

8.6-9.3: Near Masterpiece
These are albums that, for some reason (be it a weak song or a few average songs) falls just short of the masterpiece rating. Still HIGHLY recommended.

7.0-8.5: Excellent
Albums in this range are fairly consistent from start to finish and have at least one exemplary song (and usually more). Recommended, especially to fans of the genres.

6.0-6.9: Good to Very Good
These cds are worth owning, but generally only for fans of the genre. They are often plagued by inconsistency or unnecessary length.

4.3-5.9: Average to Above Average
The name says it all. Only for fans of the band and/or genre, really.

3.3-4.2: Decent
Nothing special, though.

2.0-3.2: Poor
Unimpressive on the whole, may show moments of promise, but is overall not worthwhile.

0.0-1.9: Terrible
Avoid these like the plague.

If you are in a band and would like to send me something to review, I would be more than happy to do so (though it may take a month after I receive it to actually review it). Give me an email address through which I can contact you, and I will send you mailing instructions.

That's all for this first post.

Enjoy.

No comments: