Thursday, November 29, 2007

Al Di Meola - Diabolic Inventions and Seduction for Solo Guitar (2007)

Rating: 4.8

Having been interested in the music of Al Di Meola for quite some time, when I saw the opportunity to receive one of his CDs to review, I naturally jumped. I might have been better off doing some research, however, as this is not Al Di Meola playing Al Di Meola, but rather Al Di Meola playing Astor Piazzolla, an artist about whom I know nothing. A bit disappointing (as you might imagine), but, on the bright side, it allowed me to be introduced to two new artists.

Sadly, listening to this album, I came away with two major impressions. First, that Al Di Meola is a *really* good guitarist (though I knew that already from what I had read). Second, that Astor Piazzolla's music, while performed wonderfully by Di Meola, simply isn't the type of music I enjoy listening to in general. It's certainly not bad - if you like tango music, you will probably really enjoy this music (from what I gather from the sparse liner notes, Astor's work is fairly highly regarded in the tango loving community). I can safely say that Di Meola does a good job of performing this music, both in the technical and emotional aspects, and thus, as a tribute to Piazzolla, this album probably deserves a higher ranking than what I have given it.

However, there is one key flaw with this album that hinders my enjoyment of it besides the fact that I just am not a fan of this type of music (though I certainly don't dislike it, I'm just not familiar with it). This album is solely for guitar, and thus it feels very much one dimensional. Di Meola does the best he can on guitar, and that's quite a lot, but it still feels somewhat dry and tasteless without any instruments, no matter how subdued they might theoretically be, backing him up. Thus, changes in energy are diminished in effect across the album, among other problems. Now, to be fair, Al Di Meola doesn't just play Piazzolla's music — he throws syncopated rhythms into the mix where they had been absent — but, having not heard the original music, I have no idea how this affects the album as a whole, and therefore cannot allow it to influence my rating.

While certainly not a bad CD, and even a rather pleasant one when I'm in the mood for something different, Diabolic Inventions and Seduction for Solo Guitar is also certainly not the CD that's going to turn me on to Di Meola's music, Astor Piazzolla's music, or tango music in general. In that sense, while a nice tribute to Piazzolla, this album does not succeed in its aim. I certainly haven't given up on Di Meola (or tango), but I came away from this CD wondering if there really was a useful purpose served from it besides satsifying Di Meola's wish to perform the music of a friend.

No comments: